Friday, August 3, 2007

Gluten Free Bread Recipe!

I must tell y'all that though I have only been baking bread a short time, I have tried lots of the gluten free breads out there- this loaf is not like those! With the inclusion of flax meal( which is wonderful) this bread is akin to an artesian whole wheat loaf. I baked a loaf 2 days ago and INTENDED to take a picture, but alas the natives were hungry and I ended up cutting into it (even before it was properly cooled-mmm ) and so kiboshed my own photo-op!! I will post one soon.

Gluten Free Bread Recipe for Bread Machine
-Adapted from a recipe on Celiac.com

wet:
3 large eggs
1 2/3 cup water
3 tablespoons corn oil
1 teaspoon vinegar (apple cider vinegar is best- more about that another time)

dry:
¼ cup brown or white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1 cup corn flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
½ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup skim milk powder
3 tablespoons sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 ½ teaspoons xanthum gum

Every bread machine is different, so adjust to your own machine directions as I did!
For my Cuisinart bread machine, I mix the wet ingredients, ensuring that they are approx 110 degrees (I don't actually take the temp, but I do put the wet into the microwave to "heat" up for 20 sec at a time or so, until it is *just* warmer than room temp). Layer the dry contents over the wet in the bread machine pan. With your finger make a small depression and add 2 ¼ teaspoons GF yeast. Set bread maker for gluten free, select medium, 2 lb loaf, and press go.
A couple of notes:
-When it is humid, I remove 2 Tablespoons of water, which allows it to rise properly.
-Remove the loaf to a rack when the baking time is complete, and allow to cool completely (if you can, I know it is hard!)

Finally, if you have had those brick-like GF loaves from health food stores, this is not anything like those. You will be sweetly surprised by the taste and texture of this loaf.

1 comment:

anne sheridaN said...

thanks for your great bread recipes..can I use these in the oven without a bread machine if I let it rise??thanks