Monday, February 7, 2011

Baking without Xantham gum?

There seems to be a new development in the gluten-free world, and that is the idea that Xanthan gum and Guar gum are not necessary in Gluten free cooking and baking. I too have been experimenting with this idea, and also trying out Chia seed (and flax) as a replacement.
On a recent trip to the Bulk Barn (one of my favourite place to shop these days!) I spotted the bin of Chia seed, and immediately thought of the sprout-growing terra-cotta heads from the '70's, and I initially bought the chia for that purpose: to sprout it! When I got home and did a bit of reading up on it (thank-you Google), I realized it could be utilized in other ways as well.
Here is a link that explains it well: http://www.harriswholehealth.com/links-and-files/baking-with-chia
Also check out Gluten Free Girl's website and hear about her chia/flax experimentation.
Recipe to follow soon using the Chia, and will also be trying my bread with the chia in lieu of the Xanthan gum.
Stay posted!

No comments: